Re: On naming of executables - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: On naming of executables
Date
List pgsql-novice
Mark Davidson <chemosh9@gmail.com> writes:
> As a new user of Postgres I'm wondering about the naming of certain
> executables (createdb, dropuser, etc). These are fairly ambiguous
> names. They could just as well apply to the OS or an other DBMS. Why
> not prefix them? (e.g. `pg_createdb` such as several other scripts).

Yeah, if people had thought ahead fifteen years ago they would surely
have been named like that.

At this point, though, it seems like the costs of changing would
outweigh the benefits.  (I recall at least one fairly serious proposal
to rename them, but it didn't pass, and now there are even more years
of precedent there.)

            regards, tom lane