Re: Code of Conduct plan - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Code of Conduct plan
Date
Re: Code of Conduct plan  (Benjamin Scherrey <scherrey@proteus-tech.com>)
List pgsql-general
On 06/05/2018 10:26 AM, Chris Travers wrote:

>     Let's role play. I'll be a homophobic person.
>
>     You've just submitted a proposal suggesting that we change
>     master-master replication to be multi-partner replication. I've told
>     you I don't like the wording because of it's implication of
>     supporting homosexual marriage, which I believe to be a personal
>     offense to me, my marriage, and my "deeply held religious beliefs".
>     You tell me that's not your intent and that you do not plan to
>     change your proposed wording. You continue to use the term in all
>     correspondences on the list and I continually tell you that
>     supporting gay marriage is offensive and that you need to not be so
>     deeply offensive. I submit all our correspondences to the CoC
>     committee and complain that you're purposely using language that is
>     extremely offensive.
>
>     What is a "fair" outcome? Should you be banned? Should you be forced
>     to change the wording of your proposal that no one else has
>     complained about and others support? What is a fair, just outcome?
>

> I think the fundamental outcome is likely to be that people who cause
> trouble are likely to get trouble.  This sort of case really doesn't
> worry me.  I am sure whoever is stirring the pot will be asked at least
> to cease doing so.

Your example is flawed because:

Multi-Partner has nothing to do with sexuality unless you want to make
the argument that your belief is that a relationship should be between
one person and another and in this argument a man and a woman which has
literally nothing to do with the word multi or partner in a technical
context.

Your example would carry better wait if you used master-master
replication to be man-man or woman-woman neither of which makes any
sense in the context of replication.

Since man-man or woman-woman makes zero sense in the context of
replication it would immediately be -1 from all the -hackers of any
sense which for the most part is all of them.

In short the fundamental outcome is that the community wouldn't let it
get that far. We have 20 years of results to show in that one.

JD

***  A fault and talent of mine is to tell it exactly how it is.  ***
PostgreSQL centered full stack support, consulting and development.
Advocate: @amplifypostgres || Learn: https://postgresconf.org
*****     Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own.   *****