Re: once more: documentation search indexing - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Jonathan S. Katz
Subject Re: once more: documentation search indexing
Date
Re: once more: documentation search indexing
List pgsql-www
On 3/29/22 7:30 AM, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
>> On 29 Mar 2022, at 12:57, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>
>> Sadly, we do seem to have lost the ability to find old versions. Searching for example for "pg_stat_statements 9.6"
forme still gives the 14 version, and the 9.6 version only in Russian off the pgpro site.

> FWIW, searching for "pg_stat_statements 9.6" on DuckDuckGo correctly links to
> the 9.6 docs but searching for just "pg_stat_statements" link to the 9.4 docs.

Some aggregate stats since launch (Mar 21).

I looked over a period from Mar 21 - Apr 5 vs. Mar 5 - Mar 20. There was
a marked shift in the data starting Mar 28, which is when it looks like
the first big reindexing took place.

Here are the changes in page views for each doc version:

current: + 184.05%
14:      +   7.84%
13:      -  12.46%
12:      -   4.92%
11:      -   0.46%
10:      -  11.38%
9.6:     -   2.60%
9.5:     -  30.32%
9.4:     -  15.02%
9.3:     -  22.93%
9.2:     -  21.60%
9.1:     -  33.10%
9.0:     -  27.80%
8.4:     -  10.24%

So it appears that there is a traffic shift to the most recent docs
based on the rel=canonical change.

The next analysis will be to see how much people are clicking into an
older version of the docs after they land on a particular page, and if
so what versions.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Attachment