Re: data_checksums enabled by default (was: Move --data-checksums to common options in initdb --help) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Banck
Subject Re: data_checksums enabled by default (was: Move --data-checksums to common options in initdb --help)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

Am Mittwoch, den 06.01.2021, 12:56 -0800 schrieb Peter Geoghegan:
> On Wed, Jan 6, 2021 at 12:30 PM Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
> > As already mentioned, it's also, at least today, far
> > simpler to disable checksums than to enable them, which is something
> > else to consider when thinking about what the default should be.
>
> That is a valid concern. I just don't think that it's good enough on
> its own, given the overwhelming downside of enabling checksums given
> the WAL architecture that we have today.
>
> > That the major cloud providers all have checksums enabled (at least by
> > default, though I wonder if they would even let you turn them off..),

I don't think so, and it would be very weird if they did, not just due
to the fact that shutting down the instance and running pg_checksums is
only possible since v13 (and only Google Cloud SQL Postgres supports
that so far), but also because this is the kind of decisions cloud
providers tend to take for their clients and not allow the users any say
in (just like how they do backups or failovers).

> > even when we don't have them on by default, strikes me as pretty telling
> > that this is something that we should have on by default.
>
> Please provide supporting evidence. I know that EBS itself uses
> checksums at the block device level, so I'm sure that RDS "uses
> checksums" in some sense. But does RDS use --data-checksums during
> initdb?

At least data_checksums=on for Azure Managed Postgres, Amazon RDS and
Google Cloud SQL Postgres. It might not be on for all types (I just
checked the basic one each earlier today), but I guess it is.

Michael

--
Michael Banck
Projektleiter / Senior Berater

credativ GmbH, HRB Mönchengladbach 12080
USt-ID-Nummer: DE204566209
Trompeterallee 108, 41189 Mönchengladbach

Unser Umgang mit personenbezogenen Daten unterliegt
folgenden Bestimmungen: https://www.credativ.de/datenschutz