Re: width_bucket() per SQL2003 (WIP) - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: width_bucket() per SQL2003 (WIP)
Date
List pgsql-patches
Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com> writes:
> On 30-Apr-04, at 1:06 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Other than "it's in SQL2003", what's the point of implementing this?

> No idea, but it doesn't really matter IMHO: it is in SQL2003, it
> doesn't interfere with the rest of the system or impose a significant
> maintenance burden and it has essentially zero negative side effects.
> So why _not_ implement it?

Because we have only limited manpower.  It's water over the dam now,
since you've already expended the work, but IMHO you'd be better advised
to spend your time implementing features or performance improvements
that someone has actually asked for.  We certainly have more than enough
things that desperately need attention.  How did width_bucket() come to
look important enough to rise to the top of your to-do list?

            regards, tom lane