Re: Cannot start the postgres service - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Mitesh51
Subject Re: Cannot start the postgres service
Date
Re: Cannot start the postgres service
List pgsql-general
Hi,

I like that "why on earth are you messing about with the
data directory when you don't understand what it does and how it works?"

Actully I am not a DB person and having almost ZERO knowledge abt it but I
am working on an application which takes backup(full & incremental) of diff
DB like mysql, postgres...

Now I dont have any support who helps me on DB side & still I need to move
on with my java code so in current situation I am trying my hands on the DB
backups as well since none else has that knowledge so I am doing it by
searching on my own :)

I had 2 approach in my mind...to sync up transaction log files with specific
full backup

1) to keep only time relavent files in pg_xlog dir and move other files to
archive dir with code which is not a good idea as u suggest

2) to copy files from pg_xlog & archive dir(which is used by
archive_command) and move files from the archive dir & not from the pg_xlog
& thus it will be a another direction for solution of inc backup.

Moving of files is done my postgres as well so I guess, from the archive dir
we can do that.