Re: Solaris testers wanted for strxfrm() behavior - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Solaris testers wanted for strxfrm() behavior
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Noah Misch <noah@leadboat.com> writes:
> On Sun, Jun 28, 2015 at 07:00:14PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Another idea would be to make a test during postmaster start to see
>> if this bug exists, and fail if so.  I'm generally on board with the
>> thought that we don't need to work on systems with such a bad bug,
>> but it would be a good thing if the failure was clean and produced
>> a helpful error message, rather than looking like a Postgres bug.

> Failing cleanly on unpatched Solaris is adequate, agreed.  A check at
> postmaster start isn't enough, because the postmaster might run in the C
> locale while individual databases or collations use problem locales.  The
> safest thing is to test after every setlocale(LC_COLLATE) and
> newlocale(LC_COLLATE).  That's once at backend start and once per backend per
> collation used, more frequent than I would like.  Hmm.

I was thinking more along the lines of making a single test by momentarily
switching into a known-buggy locale.

However, your results here imply that there are or were more than one bug
with this symptom, which may make a catchall test impossible.