Re: Deprecating RULES - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Deprecating RULES
Date
Re: Deprecating RULES  (Simon Riggs <simon@2ndQuadrant.com>)
Re: Deprecating RULES  (Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
> Not many RULE-lovers out there, once you've tried to use them.
> Allowing RULEs complicates various things and can make security more difficult.

> For 9.3, I suggest we create a DDL trigger by default which prevents
> RULEs and throws an ERROR that explains they are now deprecated.

This is utter nonsense.  We can't deprecate them until we have a
substitute that is better.  If you want to get rid of rules, build the
replacement; don't just try to be a pain in the ass to users.