Re: Set log_line_prefix and application name in test drivers - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Set log_line_prefix and application name in test drivers
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Christoph Berg <myon@debian.org> writes:
> I've always been wondering why we don't set a log_line_prefix by
> default.

I think the odds of getting to something that everyone would agree on
are nil, so I'm not excited about getting into that particular
bikeshed-painting discussion.  Look at the amount of trouble we're
having converging on a default for the regression tests, which are
a far narrower use-case than "everybody".

> The above looks quite similar to what the Debian packages have been
> setting as their default for some time, with standard stderr logging:

I think Debian's choice was probably made by fiat, not by consensus.
Packagers seem to be able to get away with quite a lot in that regard.