Re: Shouldn't the planner have a higher cost for reverse index scans?

From: Tom Lane
Subject: Re: Shouldn't the planner have a higher cost for reverse index scans?
Date: ,
Re: Shouldn't the planner have a higher cost for reverse index scans?  (Matthew Wakeling)
List: pgsql-performance

Tree view

Shouldn't the planner have a higher cost for reverse index scans?  (Josh Berkus, )
 Re: Shouldn't the planner have a higher cost for reverse index scans?  (Tom Lane, )
  Re: Shouldn't the planner have a higher cost for reverse index scans?  (Josh Berkus, )
   Re: Shouldn't the planner have a higher cost for reverse index scans?  (Tom Lane, )
    Re: Shouldn't the planner have a higher cost for reverse index scans?  (Josh Berkus, )
     Re: Shouldn't the planner have a higher cost for reverse index scans?  (Lists, )
      Re: Shouldn't the planner have a higher cost for reverse index scans?  (Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz, )
      Re: Shouldn't the planner have a higher cost for reverse index scans?  (Merlin Moncure, )

Josh Berkus <> writes:
> Not as far as I can tell.   It looks to me like the planner is assuming
> that a forwards index scan and a reverse index scan will have the same
> cost.

Right, because they do.  If you think otherwise, demonstrate it.
(bonnie tests approximating a reverse seqscan are not relevant
to the performance of indexscans.)

            regards, tom lane