Re: [HACKERS] exposing wait events for non-backends (was: Tracking wait event for latches) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] exposing wait events for non-backends (was: Tracking wait event for latches)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 2:30 PM, Peter Eisentraut
>> In practice, I think it's common to do a quick select * from
>> pg_stat_activity to determine whether a database instance is in use.

> I thought of the same kind of thing, and it was discussed upthread.
> There seemed to be more votes for keeping it all in one view, but that
> could change if more people vote.

I've not been paying much attention to this thread, but it seems like
something that would help Peter's use-case and have other uses as well
is a new column that distinguishes different process types --- user
session, background worker, autovacuum worker, etc.