Re: Postgres batch write very slow - what to do - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Postgres batch write very slow - what to do
Date
List pgsql-performance
femski <hypertree@yahoo.com> writes:
> I am runing Postgres 8.2 on OpenSuse 10.2 with latest jdbc driver. I moved
> the app to be collocated with the server. Oracle takes 60 sec. Postgres 275
> sec. For 4.7 million rows.

> There are 4 CPUs on the server and one is runing close to 100% during
> inserts.
> Network history shows spikes of upto 60% of the bandwidth (Gnome System
> monitor graph).

It sounds like you're incurring a network round trip for each row, which
will be expensive even for a co-located application.  Perhaps Oracle's
JDBC driver is smart enough to avoid that.  I'm not sure what tricks are
available for bulk loading with our JDBC driver --- the page Heikki
mentioned explains things from a server perspective but I dunno how that
translates into JDBC.  The folks who hang out on pgsql-jdbc could
probably give you some tips.

            regards, tom lane