Re: win32 pgsql not installable - Mailing list pgsql-hackers-win32

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: win32 pgsql not installable
Date
List pgsql-hackers-win32
"Merlin Moncure" <merlin.moncure@rcsonline.com> writes:
> I think the ultimate solution to this problem is to beef up the
> standalone backend functionality so that apps can just pipe to
> postgres.exe and not bother with the listening server (and security
> implications thereof).

This is actually on the to-do list (or at least my personal to-do list).
I had wanted it so that we could run "pg_dump -s" without a running
postmaster for pg_upgrade purposes.  Bear in mind though that you'd only
get *one* database connection (no, you can't have multiple standalone
backends at once), so I'm not sure it would really be all that great
as a general-purpose application backend.

            regards, tom lane