Re: State of Beta 2 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: State of Beta 2
Date
List pgsql-general
> The reality of pg_dump is not a good one. It is buggy and not very
> reliable.

I think everyone acknowledges that we have more work to do on pg_dump.
But we have to do that work anyway.  Spreading ourselves thinner by
creating a whole new batch of code for in-place upgrade isn't going to
improve the situation.  The thing I like about the pg_upgrade approach
is that it leverages a lot of code we already have and will need to
continue to maintain in any case.

Also, to be blunt: if pg_dump still has problems after all the years
we've put into it, what makes you think that in-place upgrade will
magically work reliably?

> This I am hoping
> changes in 7.4 as we moved to a pure "c" implementation.

Eh?  AFAIR, pg_dump has always been in C.

            regards, tom lane