Re: Row vs. tuple - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Row vs. tuple
Date
Re: Row vs. tuple  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-docs
> In some places the documentation uses the term "tuple" to mean "row
> version" (in the MVCC sense).  This choice of terms is puzzling me; where
> does it come from?  In the literature available to me, the term "tuple" is
> used as the mathematical equivalent of "row", meaning that
> table/row/column parallels relation/tuple/attribute.

Well, "row version" isn't a particularly standard term either.  I'd
prefer a one-word term.  I think that the use of "tuple" for this can be
traced back to the Berkeley code.

I concede that it's not standard usage anyplace else ... but the whole
concept of row versions isn't real standard in most DBs.

(Anyone know what Oracle calls 'em?)

            regards, tom lane