Re: HS/SR and smart shutdown - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: HS/SR and smart shutdown
Date
Re: HS/SR and smart shutdown  (Mark Kirkwood <mark.kirkwood@catalyst.net.nz>)
List pgsql-hackers
> On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 8:44 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>> Well, as long as streaming rep is running, you can't do a smart shutdown
>> ... smart shutdown seems to treat the walreciever as a client
>> connection. �At the very least, this should be in the documentation.

> How hard is it to fix?

I think the first question is do we *want* to fix it, or is it
appropriate behavior?

If the master shuts down, will the slaves try to fail over to become
masters?  When the master restarts, will the slaves automatically
reconnect?  If these questions have the wrong answers, shutting down the
master isn't something to be done lightly, and automatically
disconnecting slaves would be a real bad idea.