Re: statement timeout vs dump/restore - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: statement timeout vs dump/restore
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> writes:
> ISTR being unconvinced by the pg_restore arguments, but as I think about it
> some more, for someone to set statement_timeout on a production system, and
> then have that be blindly overridden by any random pg_dump user seems a bit
> unfair.  pg_dump is not only used as a backup tool, it is also used as a
> general user tool (for example, pgadmin calls pg_dump if you want to see a
> tables schema).

So?  In those usages, it's not going to run long enough to have a
statement_timeout problem anyway.

When there is a data dump involved, you still have to defend the
proposition that it's okay for pg_dump to deliver a bad dump if
statement_timeout hits it.  I can't accept that.