Re: smart shutdown at end of transaction (was: Default mode for shutdown) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: smart shutdown at end of transaction (was: Default mode for shutdown)
Date
Re: smart shutdown at end of transaction (was: Default mode for shutdown)  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
Re: smart shutdown at end of transaction (was: Default mode for shutdown)  ("Albe Laurenz" <laurenz.albe@wien.gv.at>)
Re: smart shutdown at end of transaction (was: Default mode for shutdown)  (Wolfgang Wilhelm <wolfgang20121964@yahoo.de>)
List pgsql-hackers
> On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 7:29 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> No, I'm not happy with that.  Smart shutdown is defined to not affect
>> current sessions.  I'm fine with having a fourth mode that acts as you
>> suggest (and, probably, even with making it the default); but not with
>> taking away a behavior that people may well be relying on.

> Agreed, but not sure what to call the new mode: "smarter"?

I'm not necessarily opposed to commandeering the name "smart" for the
new behavior, so that what we have to find a name for is the old "smart"
behavior.  How about
slow    - allow existing sessions to finish (old "smart")smart    - allow existing transactions to finish (new)fast
-kill active queriesimmediate - unclean shutdown