Re: ToDo List Item - System Table Index Clustering - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: ToDo List Item - System Table Index Clustering
Date
Re: ToDo List Item - System Table Index Clustering  ("Simone Aiken" <saiken@ulfheim.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
> On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 6:49 PM, Simone Aiken
> <saiken@quietlycompetent.com> wrote:
>> Pages like this one have column comments for the system tables:
>>
>> http://www.psql.it/manuale/8.3/catalog-pg-attribute.html

> Oh, I see.  I don't think we want to go there.  We'd need some kind of
> system for keeping the two places in sync.

I seem to recall some muttering about teaching genbki to extract such
comments from the SGML sources or perhaps the C header files.  I tend to
agree though that it would be a lot more work than it's worth.  And as
you say, pg_description entries aren't free.

Which brings up another point though.  I have a personal TODO item to
make the comments for operator support functions more consistent:
http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/21407.1287157253@sss.pgh.pa.us
Should we consider removing those comments altogether, instead?