Re: 9.4RC1 next week - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: 9.4RC1 next week
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On 2014-11-11 10:18:55 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> We need to get moving if we want to have RC1 out before the holiday season
>> starts.  Accordingly, the core committee has agreed that we should wrap it
>> next week (usual timing: wrap Monday 17th for announcement Thursday 20th).

> Ah cool. So there won't be a corresponding set of backbranch releases
> which will instead be done together with 9.4.0?

No.  I don't think we have our ducks in a row for back-branch updates just
yet.  In any case, it would be good to get some real-world testing of
b2cbced9e before we unleash that on stable-branch users ;-)

BTW, we try to avoid doing back-branch updates at the exact same time as
a major .0 release anyway.  In the first place, that confuses the PR
messaging: we'd rather it be all about the new release and not about bugs
fixed in old branches.  In the second place, as an ex-packager I know that
there are usually some gotchas in packaging a new major release, so it's
better that packagers not have back-branch updates on their plates at the
same time.