Re: "make install" now tries to build the documentation - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: "make install" now tries to build the documentation
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On tis, 2009-08-18 at 15:13 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Well, having "make install" behave in a history-dependent fashion is just
>> as much a hazard for users as it is for developers.

> That's kind of a built-in feature of make.  Otherwise we could write the
> build rules as shell scripts. ;-)

Well, no -- make is supposed to skip redundant build steps while
producing the specified outputs.  It's not supposed to skip producing
the outputs.

> Anyway, a simple fix that doesn't upset too many things would be to
> remove the dependencies

> install-html: html
> install-man: man

That doesn't really make me feel more comfortable.  It would
alleviate my immediate complaint, but also introduce the possibility of
accidentally installing obsolete docs.  OTOH I suppose the probability
of an actual problem of that sort is low, and we've been living with
essentially equivalent install behavior for a long time.