Re: Re: [HACKERS] 8Ko limitation - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Re: [HACKERS] 8Ko limitation
Date
List pgsql-general
Jules Bean <jules@jellybean.co.uk> writes:
>> A colleague told me to use NetBSD instead, because PostgreSQL on a
>> Linux machine cannot host more than 2 Gb per database. Any practical
>> experience? (I'm not interested in "It should work".)

> Postgres splits large tables into multiple files.

Segmenting into multiple files used to have some bugs, but that was a
few versions back --- I think your colleague's experience is obsolete.
There are lots of people using multi-gig tables now.

It's presently still painful to manage a database that spans multiple
disks, however.  (You can do it if you're willing to move files around
and establish symlinks by hand ... but it's painful.)  There are plans
to make this better, but for now you might want to say that the
practical limit is the size of disk you can buy.  Alternatively, if
your OS can make logical filesystems that span multiple disks, you
can get around the problem that way.

            regards, tom lane