Re: Huge performance problem between 7.4.1 and 8.0.3 - CS - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Huge performance problem between 7.4.1 and 8.0.3 - CS
Date
Re: Huge performance problem between 7.4.1 and 8.0.3 -
List pgsql-performance
Robert Creager <Robert_Creager@LogicalChaos.org> writes:
> Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> confessed:
>> The context swap problem was no worse in 8.0 than in prior versions,
>> so that hardly seems like a good explanation.  Have you tried reverting
>> to the cron-based vacuuming method you used in 7.4?

> I've "vacuum_cost_delay = 10" in the conf file for 803.

Hmm, did you read this thread?
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2005-07/msg00088.php

It's still far from clear what's going on there, but it might be
interesting to see if turning off the vacuum delay changes your results
with 8.0.

            regards, tom lane