Re: Why are default encoding conversions namespace-specific? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Why are default encoding conversions namespace-specific?
Date
Re: Why are default encoding conversions  (Tatsuo Ishii <ishii@sraoss.co.jp>)
List pgsql-hackers
Tatsuo Ishii <ishii@sraoss.co.jp> writes:
>> I don't mind having encoding conversions be named within schemas,
>> but I propose that any given encoding pair be allowed to have only
>> one default conversion, period, and that when we are looking for
>> a default conversion we find it by a non-namespace-aware search.

> That doesn't sound good idea to me.

What does it mean to have different "default" encoding conversions in
different schemas?  Even if this had a sensible interpretation, I don't
think the existing code implements it properly.

> Then why do we have CREATE DEFAULT CONVERSION command at all?

So you can create the one you're allowed to have, of course ...