Re: BUG #4787: Hardlink (ln) causes startup failure with bizarre "timezone_abbreviations" error - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #4787: Hardlink (ln) causes startup failure with bizarre "timezone_abbreviations" error
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Mark <admin@asarian-host.net> writes:
> Interesting. Yet, as I reported earlier, whilst a symlink does seem to start
> the server, pg_ctl takes a long time to do so, and then report: "could not
> start server" anyway. But it actually *does* get started. So I figured maybe
> something was not entirely right with the symlink, either.

That sounds like pg_ctl isn't finding the postmaster's socket file ...
were you playing games with the location of that, too?  pg_ctl is not
terribly bright about relocated socket files (in particular, it does
not read the postmaster's postgresql.conf, so a nonstandard setting
there for unix_socket_directory will confuse it).

            regards, tom lane