Re: smart shutdown at end of transaction (was: Default mode for shutdown) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: smart shutdown at end of transaction (was: Default mode for shutdown)
Date
Re: smart shutdown at end of transaction (was: Default mode for shutdown)  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
> On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 10:11 AM, Alvaro Herrera
> <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>> It occurs to me that we may need a new mode, which disconnects sessions
>> that are not in a transaction (or as soon as they are) but leaves
>> in-progress transactions alone; this could be the new default.  Of
>> course, this is much more difficult to implement than the current modes.

> This idea appeared to have some support.  I'd like to suggest that we
> take this a step further.  Instead of adding a fourth mode, I'd like
> to suggest that we redefine "smart" to have the behavior described
> above.

No, I'm not happy with that.  Smart shutdown is defined to not affect
current sessions.  I'm fine with having a fourth mode that acts as you
suggest (and, probably, even with making it the default); but not with
taking away a behavior that people may well be relying on.

> This is based on the theory that (1) people who like smart
> shutdown like it because it allows currently-running transactions to
> complete without error,

I think they like it because it allows currently-running *sessions*
to complete without error.  You have no real basis for asserting that
relocating that goalpost won't change the game.