Re: staring pgsql on fedora 8 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: staring pgsql on fedora 8
Date
List pgsql-general
newbiegalore <banerjee.anirban@gmail.com> writes:
> When I use this command $> service postgresql initdb  nothing really
> happens. The display says, initializing database and then nothing.
> I've waited for 10 minutes at a stretch and CPU/memory utilization
> doesn't seem to be going out of the window implying some major
> processing of some sort..!

Shouldn't take more than a minute to finish initdb, even on very slow
hardware.  Have you looked to see if anything gets created under
/var/lib/pgsql/?  In particular, if /var/lib/pgsql/pgstartup.log
exists, looking into that file might tell you something.

I'm assuming you're using the standard Fedora RPMs for PG, which
at this writing are
postgresql-libs-8.2.6-1.fc8
postgresql-8.2.6-1.fc8
postgresql-server-8.2.6-1.fc8
(There are more but this is the minimum set to run a postmaster.)

            regards, tom lane