Re: RFC: Timing Events - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: RFC: Timing Events
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
>> Do we have something to add to auto_explain?

> Well, to be frank, I've never found auto-explain to be useful because of
> its restriction to superuser sessions.  It's an interesting
> proof-of-concept, but completely useless at any production site.

Huh?  The typical use-case is to enable it for all sessions by
including it in shared_preload_libraries.  That doesn't require any
particular session to be superuser.  (If you're superuser you can then
turn it *off* in your session, should you wish.)