Re: [GENERAL] Installin Postgres - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Installin Postgres
Date
Re: [GENERAL] Installin Postgres  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
"scott.marlowe" <scott.marlowe@ihs.com> writes:
> On Tue, 6 May 2003, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> writes:
>>> Tom, are we moving to a C locale by default for 7.4?
>>
>> I suggested it, but I'm not sure if there was consensus or not.

> Please do.

Peter lodged what I think was an objection:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2003-04/msg00727.php

but he didn't address anything but the speed issue.  What we are seeing
is that on several platforms, the default locale settings are just plain
broken --- ie, setlocale() barfs on the locale value that the system
environment provides.  There was discussion before about this, but
IIRC we concluded that initdb could not easily detect the problem.

On balance I think we should default to C locale rather than whatever
random junk is in initdb's environment.  Perhaps "initdb --use-locale"
should be required to get the current behavior?