Re: BUG: postgresql.auto.conf location - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG: postgresql.auto.conf location
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Alexandr Blinov <alexandr.blinov@mysky.com> writes:
> After that the following command is executed: ALTER SYSTEM SET max_connections = xxx;'
> File postgresql.auto.conf is be created at 'data' directory, although this is expected in the same directory as the
mainpostgresql.conf file.

That's intentional, and indeed necessary.  If you are keeping the main
config file in some other place, it's likely that that other place isn't
even writable by the server.

> This is a confusing, because in case of backup/restore or pg_basebackup to a new server (or new slave server),
auto.conffile also will be transferred and applied to a new server, which in some cases is not expected.

There's been some discussion of teaching those tools to not copy config
files (perhaps optionally?), but I'm not sure what the current status is.

            regards, tom lane