Re: Why is this system swapping? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Jeff
Subject Re: Why is this system swapping?
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Apr 27, 2005, at 7:46 PM, Greg Stark wrote:

> In fact I think it's generally superior to having a layer like pgpool
> having
> to hand off all your database communication. Having to do an extra
> context
> switch to handle every database communication is crazy.

I suppose this depends on how many machines / how much traffic you have.

In one setup I run here I get away with 32 * 4 db connections instead
of 500 * 4. Pretty simple to see the savings on the db machine. (Yes,
it is a "bad design" as you said where static & dynamic content are
served from the same box. However it also saves money since I don't
need machines sitting around serving up pixel.gif vs
myBigApplication.cgi)

--
Jeff Trout <jeff@jefftrout.com>
http://www.jefftrout.com/