Re: New email address - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: New email address
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Greg Stark <stark@mit.edu> writes:
> On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 2:16 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> I think that would put us in a situation where DKIM signatures would still
>> pass, at least unless the source insisted on signing Sender: too.

> Incidentally I'm confused about your concern about Sender. Sender has
> almost no significance for email afaik.

The PG lists do not think so; for example in -hackers traffic you will
find

Sender: pgsql-hackers-owner@postgresql.org

which matches the envelope From address.  Every other mailing list I'm on
behaves similarly.  Now, I'm not an email standards guru so I have no idea
whether that's actually necessary or not, but I kinda doubt that you're
right and all the mailing list software authors are wrong.