Re: Query slower on 8.0.3 (Windows) vs 7.3 (cygwin) - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Query slower on 8.0.3 (Windows) vs 7.3 (cygwin)
Date
Re: Query slower on 8.0.3 (Windows) vs 7.3 (cygwin)  ("Gurpreet Aulakh" <gaulakh@ecmarket.com>)
List pgsql-performance
"Gurpreet Aulakh" <gaulakh@ecmarket.com> writes:
> What is really interesting is the time it takes for the Hash to occur. For
> the first hash, on the 7.3 it takes only 12ms while on the 8.0 it takes
> 47ms.

You haven't told us a thing about the column datatypes involved (much
less what the query actually is) ... but I wonder if this is a textual
datatype and the 8.0 installation is using a non-C locale where the 7.3
installation is using C locale.  That could account for a considerable
slowdown in text comparison speeds.

            regards, tom lane