Documentation on standard conforming strings? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Preston de Guise
Subject Documentation on standard conforming strings?
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

I don't yet properly understand the conforming strings implementation
that came in 8.3 The manual (to me at least) has been a little
imprecise in describing the implications for correctly inserting data
with this enabled without getting back a plethora of warnings, or
having the inserts fail completely.

Is anyone aware of a good "how to" document on conforming strings
covering such topics as:

- Valid quoting methods and when the various ones should be used
- Criteria for warnings (in some instances it seems you can get
warnings about them no matter how 'safely' you insert? I.e., I know
I'm likely to still be doing things wrong...)
(- Any coverage of DBD::Pg's capabilities would be a great bonus)

I realise this is a little vague, but unfortunately, so too is my
understanding based on what I've read in the documentation thus far...

Cheers,

Preston.