Re: BUG #1775: UTF8 to ISO does not convert the german "sharp s" (ß) - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #1775: UTF8 to ISO does not convert the german "sharp s" (ß)
Date
List pgsql-bugs
"Magnus Hagander" <mha@sollentuna.net> writes:
>>> ICU support should make it to 8.1 I hear, which will make the
>>> bahaviour uniform.
>>
>> There was some discussion about that, but my impression was
>> that that wasn't going to happen.

> AFAIK the result was that it would go in as an alternative, but not to
> *replace* what's there now.

The whole issue is still TBD as far as I know --- there were arguments
on both sides but not consensus, and if any committer has reviewed the
ICU patch in any detail, I didn't hear about it.

It'd probably be easier to get consensus for a "make it a compile-time
option" proposal than for a "wholesale replacement" proposal.

            regards, tom lane