Re: A form of inheritance with PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: A form of inheritance with PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-sql
> Greg Toombs wrote:
>> What disaster do you foresee? Is that version unstable?

> Yes.  There are known, unfixed bugs, and architectural problems that
> cannot be fixed.

We abandoned maintenance of the 7.1 branch in 2001.  7.2 was the first
version that anyone thought was good enough to maintain over the long
haul (mainly because it was the first version that wouldn't crash and
burn at 4G transactions), and even that was abandoned in 2005 because
of its unfixable-without-initdb security bugs.

I don't know of anyone who would recommend today that you undertake new
development on a server version older than 8.1.x.
        regards, tom lane