Re: CSV mode option for pg_dump - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: CSV mode option for pg_dump
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> As was stated before, the use-case for this is by people we don't
> normally have contact with.

Or who don't exist.

Once again: give me a plausible use-case for pulling this data out of a
pg_dump output file.  You'd need data-massaging code anyway just to
extract the data, so why not expect that code to convert to CSV or
whatever other format you might want?  If you can think of use-cases like
this, why do you think the destination format is necessarily CSV and not
something else?  If it is something else, adding a CSV option to pg_dump
makes it *harder* not easier to write that massaging code, because now
it's got to cope with N dump formats not one.