Re: BUG #11028: psql doesn't use 0x01 and 0x02 to inform readline of non-printable PROMPT1 chars - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #11028: psql doesn't use 0x01 and 0x02 to inform readline of non-printable PROMPT1 chars
Date
List pgsql-bugs
fleminra@gmail.com writes:
> Basically, the colorized prompt suggested in
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/app-psql.html#APP-PSQL-PROMPTING
> :

>   testdb=> \set PROMPT1 '%[%033[1;33;40m%]%n@%/%R%[%033[0m%]%# '

> results in strange readline behavior. In that prompt, "%[" should be
> preceded by "%001" and "%]" should be followed by "%002".

Actually, %[ is supposed to expand to \001 and %] is supposed to expand
to \002.

The example seems to work as given for me.  Could you be more specific
about what's going wrong for you?  Also, are you sure you are really
using GNU readline, and not something else like libedit?

            regards, tom lane