Re: tiny patch to make vacuumdb -a's database order match pg_dumpall - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: tiny patch to make vacuumdb -a's database order match pg_dumpall
Date
List pgsql-patches
"Dan Thomas" <godders@gmail.com> writes:
> I've been having trouble running vacuumdb -a and pg_dumpall
> concurrently because they run through the databases in a different
> order (so dumpall was getting stuck behind vacuum's lock, and my
> firewall was rather unhelpfully closing the idle connection).

Um, whaddya mean "dumpall was getting stuck behind vacuum's lock"?
A plain vacuum doesn't take any locks that would block pg_dump.

While the proposed patch looks harmless enough, I'm unconvinced that
it will solve your problem, or even quite what the problem is.

            regards, tom lane