Re: Small documentation issue - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Small documentation issue
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 3:15 AM, Albe Laurenz <laurenz.albe@wien.gv.at> wrote:
>> In fdwhandler.sgml, chapter fdwhandler has only one subsection
>> (fdw-routines).
>>
>> If there is only one subsection, no table of contents is generated in
>> the chapter.
>> That means that people who navigate to the chapter from the main table
>> of contents
>> will not see that there is a subsection.
>>
>> I know too little about the documentation building process, but is it
>> possible
>> to generate a table of contents even if there is only one subsection?

I don't know how to change the doc toolchain to do that either.  But
on reflection it seemed to me that this documentation was badly designed
anyhow, because it mixed up description of the FDW's routines with
actual introductory text.  I split that into an introduction and a
<sect1> for the routines.  Problem solved.

> Maybe we could just add a sentence to the end of the third paragraph
> with a pointer to the section that follows, so it would read like
> this:

> The callback functions are plain C functions and are not visible or
> callable at the SQL level.  They are described in more detail in
> Section 50.1.

Yeah, I did that too.