Re: Perfomance Tuning - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Perfomance Tuning
Date
List pgsql-performance
Jeff <threshar@torgo.978.org> writes:
> On Tue, 12 Aug 2003, Christopher Browne wrote:
>> Are you _certain_ that's still true?  Have you a metric that shows
>> Informix being 10x faster on a modern system?  That would be quite
>> surprising...

> We were forced (for budget reason) to switch from raw disk to cooked files
> on our informix db. We took a huge hit - about 5-6x slower.
> [snip]
> The raw disks were on a hitachi fibre array and the cooked files
> were on a raid5 (scsi). Forget how many spindles in the raid.
> There were 20 raw disks)

Seems like you can't know how much of the performance hit was due to the
filesystem change and how much to the hardware change.  But I'd bet 20
disks on fibre array have way more net throughput than a single RAID
array on scsi.

            regards, tom lane