Re: Simplifying unknown-literal handling - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Simplifying unknown-literal handling
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Andrew - Supernews <andrew+nonews@supernews.com> writes:
> On 2005-05-29, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> 2. Backend infers actual type of param 1 from context as BYTEA.

> Hrm. I was thinking of the case where the backend can't necessarily do
> this, but in fact in that case the Parse seems to fail.

Right, deliberately so, for precisely the reason that we need to know
the correct input converters to use.

>> Offhand I think the only way you could actually invoke UNKNOWN's binary
>> input converter is by executing a PREPARE with a parameter position
>> specifically declared as UNKNOWN, viz

> Which of course leads to the question of why UNKNOWN has a binary input
> converter at all...

Maybe it shouldn't.  It does need a binary output converter, to avoid
gratuitous failures in cases likeSELECT 'foo';
so I figure it's probably best to leave the input converter there ...