Re: Syntax decisions for pl/pgsql RAISE extension - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Syntax decisions for pl/pgsql RAISE extension
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Pavel Stehule" <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> writes:
> 2008/5/12 Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>:
>> It would get less annoying if we allowed user-declared exception names.

> Tom, it's exactly like my patch that you rejected two years ago.

Uh, no, not "exactly like" --- that patch doesn't have anything to do
with the SQL/PSM syntax, and not much with the SQL/PSM semantics.
As I read the spec, a condition name isn't a variable and so you can't
do runtime assignment to it (and unlike Neil, I don't think you should
be able to do so).