Re: postmaster will not start with stale lockfile but not report why - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: postmaster will not start with stale lockfile but not report why
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Rudolf Potucek <potucek@ucalgary.ca> writes:
> Oct  4 14:05:45 antimony3 postgresql: Starting postgresql service:
> failed

> Maybe, just maybe, it would be nice if the server croaked a bit more
> vebously?

The postmaster croaks as verbosely as it can.  I'll bet lunch that your
system's startup script is redirecting the postmaster's stderr to
/dev/null (or using the -S switch which has the same effect).  If so,
we are not the people to complain to ...

            regards, tom lane