Re: no test programs in contrib - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: no test programs in contrib
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> We currently have a number of subdirectories for test-only programs:

> test_parser (a toy text search parser, added in 2007)
> dummy_seclabel (for SECURITY LABEL regression testing, added Sept 2010)
> worker_spi (for bgworkers, added Dec 2012)
> test_shm_mq (test program for shared memory queues, added Jan 2014)
> test_decoding (test program for logical decoding, added March 2014)

> What would you say if we were to move them to src/test/?  I could also
> see putting them in a brand new top-level directory, say testing/ or
> testprg/.

I think that test_parser is arguably useful as a skeleton/example for
user-written TS parsers, so I'd lean towards leaving it where it is,
but the others could move to src/test/ IMO.

> Now, I know there is some resistance to the idea of moving source code
> around.

Usually that's when there is (a) a lot of history and (b) concern about
back-patching fixes.  Neither of those arguments seem real strong for
these modules, with the possible exception of test_parser.