Re: solaris build problem with Sun compilers - Mailing list pgsql-ports

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: solaris build problem with Sun compilers
Date
Re: solaris build problem with Sun compilers
List pgsql-ports
Alan Stange <stange@rentec.com> writes:
> Check out the comment and implementation for cas32() in this .il
> template file for libc from OpenSolaris:

> http://cvs.opensolaris.org/source/xref/on/usr/src/lib/libc/sparc/threads/sparc.il

If you mean

          * When compiling with -xarch=v8, the compiler refuses to
          * accept the 'cas' instruction, so we encode it in hex below.

I can't say that that impresses me.  It still will fail on v8 chips no?
What's the point of fooling the compiler if you can't fool the hardware?

            regards, tom lane