Re: SKIP LOCKED DATA - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: SKIP LOCKED DATA
Date
Re: SKIP LOCKED DATA  (Simon Riggs <simon@2ndQuadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Thomas Munro <munro@ip9.org> writes:
> I am wondering out loud whether I am brave enough to try to propose
> SKIP LOCKED DATA support and would be grateful for any feedback and/or
> {en|dis}couragement.  I don't see it on the todo list, and didn't find
> signs of others working on this (did I miss something?), but there are
> examples of users asking for this feature (by various names) on the
> mailing lists.  Has the idea already been rejected, is it
> fundamentally infeasible for some glaring reason, or far too
> complicated for new players?

It sounds to me like "silently give the wrong answers".  Are you sure
there are not better, more deterministic ways to solve your problem?

(Or in other words: the fact that Oracle has it isn't enough to persuade
me it's a good idea.)