Re: holdable cursors - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: holdable cursors
Date
List pgsql-patches
"Matthew T. O'Connor" <matthew@zeut.net> writes:
> From: "Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
>> Yes, you need to do that.  Leaving it for the next postmaster restart
>> isn't acceptable (production sites don't restart the postmaster often).

> Would it make any sense for vacuum to look around for (and clean up) unused
> temp files left either from this or sorts etc....

I see no need for that.  If a backend leaves temp files on normal exit,
the backend is broken and must be fixed.  If it leaves temp files upon
crashing, well we can't expect anything from it; but that scenario will
cause a postmaster restart, which will clean out the temp files.

            regards, tom lane