Re: NUMERIC key word - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: NUMERIC key word
Date
List pgsql-patches
> In 8.3, it appears that NUMERIC doesn't need to be a key word any longer.  See
> attached patch.  Was there a reason this was kept in the parser?  Otherwise
> we could remove it in 8.4.

The reason it was kept was to override the search path --- unqualified
NUMERIC will always be taken as pg_catalog.numeric even if you have some
other type "numeric" in front of it.  I believe we had concluded that this
behavior is required by the SQL spec.  In any case, it would be kinda
weird for DECIMAL to have that behavior and NUMERIC not.

            regards, tom lane