Re: Proposal for Recover mode in pg_ctl (in 8.0) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Proposal for Recover mode in pg_ctl (in 8.0)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Sat, 2004-11-06 at 23:29, Tom Lane wrote:
>> A possibly more reliable interlock would involve having the postmaster
>> probe during normal startup to see if there is already an archived WAL
>> segment for what it thinks is the current segment.

> Yes, checking the archive is the safe way, but we don't know how to do
> that unless restore_command has been successfully read in (currently
> from recovery.conf). Putting it in postgresql.conf is the wrong place,

Agreed; we left it out of postgresql.conf for good reasons.  I was
thinking in terms of adding a third command string, perhaps like
test_archive_file = 'test -f /mnt/server/archive/%f'

But it's probably best just to tell people to write their
archive_commands in a non-overwrite style.